- Village Life
The building of the Royal Hunting Lodge (see impression aside) situated on the rise to the north of the church in 1129 put Geddington on the map, being used by hunting parties for the following 160 years. The original building was no doubt of timber construction costing some £17.
It was during Henry III’s reign (1216-72) that most improvement was made to the Lodge, many with the Queen in mind and leading to the building becoming known as a “Palace” or “Castle”.
The first Plantagenet King, Henry ll (1154-89) used the Lodge frequently and presumably organised improvements for in 1177, and again in 1188, The Great Council of the King was summoned to meet in Geddington, on the second occasion to discuss the organisation of a Crusade to the Holy Land. In 1194 Richard l entertained King William of Scotland in the village and there are several records of the visits by King John.Next: Read about Eleanor of Castile >